American Board of Dermatology
- MD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
- BS, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Dermatopathology Fellow, University of Virginia Department of Pathology
- Resident Physician, PGY-3, PGY-4, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Department of Dermatology
- Resident Physician, PGY-2, Eastern Virginia Medical School Department of Dermatology
- Resident Physician, PGY-1, Carolinas Medical Center Department of Internal Medicine (Preliminary Year)
Dr. Sam Wu is a board-certified dermatologist and dermatopathologist who practices medical, surgical, and cosmetic dermatology as well as dermatopathology and is passionate about providing the very best dermatologic care for each and every patient.
Dr. Wu is a lifelong Tar Heel who grew up in Cary, NC and attended UNC Chapel Hill for his undergraduate studies, medical school, and dermatology residency. He subsequently completed fellowship training in dermatopathology at the University of Virginia, following which he returned to UNC as a faculty member in the departments of Dermatology and Pathology prior to joining PPSD. Dr. Wu was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society during medical school and received the Physician-in-Training Award from the American Society of Dermatopathology for his research and the Fellow Teaching Award for resident education during residency and fellowship.
Outside of work, Dr. Wu enjoys hiking, tennis, disc golf, and good food.
- Wu S, Subtil A, Gru AA. Epidermotropic Epstein-Barr virus-Positive Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma: A Series of 3 Cases of a Very Unusual High-Grade Lymphoma. American Journal of Dermatopathology. 2021.
- Yi LG, Wu SB, Wilson BB. Unilateral vulvar swelling in a 7-year-old girl. Pediatric Dermatology.
- Wu S, Slater NA, Sayed CJ, Googe PB. PD-L1 and LAG-3 expression in advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology. 2020.
- Brahe C, Wu S, Miladi A. Mucosa Does Not Matter: Successful Secondary Intention Healing of the Lip and Vermilion Border in Mohs Surgery Patients. Dermatologic Surgery. 2020.
- Wu S, McShane D, Morrell DS (2020). Skin Disorders: Face and Scalp. In J.E. Tintinalli (Ed.). Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: a Comprehensive Study Guide (9 ed.). McGraw-Hill Education.
- Wu S, Adamson A. Cutaneous toxicity associated with enfortumab vedotin treatment of metastatic urothelial carcinoma. Dermatology Online Journal. 2019.
- Wu S. Question author, Medical/General Dermatology, Online Board Prep Question Bank. American Academy of Dermatology. 2017.
- Wu S, McShane DB, Burkhart CN, Morrell, DS. Wolf’s isotopic response: varicella within prior immunization reaction site. Pediatric Dermatology.
- Wu S, Jenkins SN, Hoffman ER, Morrell DS. Validity and use of the 360-degree evaluation tool in a dermatology residency program. Clinical Research in Dermatology: Open Access. 2014.
- Wu S, Bhandari R, Burkhart CN. Thread Epilation: A Less Traumatic Technique for Patients Undergoing Isotretinoin Therapy. Pediatric Dermatology.
- Patel M, Gomez NC, McFadden AW, Moats-Staats B, Wu SB, Rojas, A, Sapp T, Simon JM, Smith S, Kaiser-Rogers K, Davis IJ. PTEN deficiency reciprocally affects the response to IGF1 and mTOR inhibition in Ewing Sarcoma. Molecular Cancer Research.
- Patel M, Simon JM, Iglesia MD, Wu SB, McFadden AW, Lieb JD, Davis IJ. Tumor-specific retargeting of an oncogenic transcription factor chimera results in dysregulation of chromatin and transcription. Genome Research. 2012.
- Wu S, Kozak M, Noland M, Gru AA. A large mass on the chest: cutaneous malignant mixed tumor. Presented at American Society of Dermatopathology 2019 Annual Meeting (October 2019)
- Wu S, Johnston M, Thomas NE. Cutaneous Mycobacterium gordonae infection. Presented at American Association of Dermatology 2019 Annual Meeting Gross and Microscopic Dermatology Symposium (March 2019)
- Wu S, Moschos S, Slater NA, Sayed C, Googe PB. PD-L1 and LAG-3 expression in advanced cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas. Presented at American Society of Dermatopathology 2018 Annual Meeting (November 2018)
- Wu S, Grant M, Ziemer CM, Googe PB. DRESS syndrome mimicking cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Poster presented at American Society of Dermatopathology 2018 Annual Meeting (November 2018)
- Wu S, Culton DA. A case of pediatric pemphigus herpetiformis. Presented at North Carolina Dermatology Association Summer Meeting 2018 (July 2018)
- Wu S, Gifford L, Williams J. Mycoplasma-induced rash and mucositis: a case series. Poster presented at Southeastern Consortium for Dermatology 2017.
- Beshay A, Wu S, Blochin E, Barnes L, Morey J, Parr K. Chronic Radiation Dermatitis after Mesenteric Angiography. Poster presented at Southeastern Consortium for Dermatology 2016.
- Wu S, Goodwin A, Grigg-Gutierrez N, Lewis J, Tarantino H. Recurrent abdominal pain and transaminitis due to Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Poster presented at Southern SGIM 2016.
- Wu S, Small B, Richards K. Rituximab Sensitivity in B-Cell Lymphoma. Poster presented at Medical Students’ Research Day, UNC School of Medicine. 2013.