When your body comes into contact with an allergen, your immune system immediately goes to work to fight off what it recognizes as an invader.
What are the Most Common Causes of Skin Allergies?
There are literally thousands of substances that can cause a skin allergy to occur. The most common causes are:
- Metals, particularly nickel. If you have recently purchased a new piece of jewelry, it could be to blame for a skin allergy.
- Fragrances. These synthetic scents are all around you and are frequently added to common products like laundry detergent, body lotion, or perfumes.
- Cleaners, sunscreens, hair color, and antiperspirants. These products contain potentially irritating ingredients which may lead to an allergic reaction.
- Over-the-counter antibiotic ointments such as Neosporin and Bacitracin.
- Latex is a common allergen and can be found in cleaning gloves, condoms, baby bottles, and balloons.
- Natural plants like poison ivy, poison oak, or sumac.